Research Involving Vertebrate Animals

If you are involved in animal research you must comply with all applicable policies. Failure to do so will prevent us from processing student financial support in the form of fellowships and research assistantships.

Sources of Information:


On-campus research - full application:

Research conducted at MIT requires an approved MIT Committee on Animal Care (CAC) protocol. If no current approved protocol exists, a full application* must be submitted before research commences. If an MIT CAC protocol already exists for the project, an addendum* submitted by the principal investigator is required to add the HST student to the project.

Off-campus research- abbreviated application:

Research conducted off campus requires an approved protocol from the institution where it is being performed. In addition, students must complete and submit all documentation for 4. Notification of Off-Campus Animal Use by MIT/WI Student(s)*to the MIT CAC if: 
  • Funding in the form of a research assistantship or fellowship is processed through the HST Academic Office.


  • The student is receiving an MIT degree.
MIT Department Representatives who may sign Section 4 Funding Disclaimer are
  • Laurie Ward (laurie@mit.edu, ph: 617-253-3609, fx: 617-253-6692) for HST PhD and MD students and
  • Julie Greenberg (jgreenbe@mit.edu, ph: 617-258-6086, fx: 617-253-6692) for HST UROP students.
Additional information may be found at the MIT Committee on Animal Care (CAC) website*
*MIT certificates are required to view web pages