Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) Archive
The following items have appeared in TWiHST in a weekly feature highlighting DEI in STEM, academia, research, and medicine.
- Learn how the 'model minority' myth affects students.
- Watch Coded Bias to learn how AI can perpetuate class, race, and gender inequities. Register here for a free, on-demand screening of the film available April 16-19. Follow up at an expert panel discussion on April 20: Is AI Racist?
- Read "The Coats That We Can Take Off and the Ones We Can’t" for a compelling perspective on trauma-informed care in the emergency room.
- Subscribe to the Anti-Racism Daily newsletter (no cost to you under our group plan for HST/IMES) for readable briefings on individual topics and concrete actions that you can take.
- Help dispel a damaging myth, explained by Dr. Rhea Boyd in the New York Times: Black People Need Better Vaccine Access, Not Better Vaccine Attitudes.
- Attend the Black Feminist Health Science Studies Symposium, Thursday, March 18, 1:00-5:30pm.
- Learn about The Diversity-Innovation Paradox in Science by reading this recent PNAS article by Hofstra et al.
- Watch this TED Talk by Professor David R. Williams about the impact of racism on health.
- Get an e-copy of the Spring 2021 MIT Reads book selection, The Privileged Poor: How Elite Colleges Are Failing Disadvantaged Students. Join the MIT Reads mailing list to receive details regarding a virtual fireside chat with author Anthony Jack and small group discussions planned for April.
- Watch this interview with Harriet Washington, Lecturer in Bioethics at Columbia University and author of the book Medical Apartheid.
- Read this recent commentary, Fund Black Scientists, by Stevens et. al in Cell. Amplify the message with retweets using #FundBlackScientists.