Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) Archive
The following items have appeared in TWiHST in a weekly feature highlighting DEI in STEMM, academia, research, and medicine.
- Disrupting Health Inequities
- Slavery and the NEJM - Reckoning with History and Complicity
- Closing the gender gap in mentoring faculty inventors
- Underfunding of HBCUs
- Study finds ChatGPT and Google’s Bard answer medical questions with racist, debunked theories that harm Black patients
- Why female STEM PhDs are less likely to become new inventors
- Register to attend "Disability Visibility": Can You See Us Now? on November 16
- Attend a fireside chat with two journalists about the opportunities and challenges of reporting on race and health equity.
- Learn about the Novartis Beacon of Hope Program
- Racial Inequality and the Staggering Toll on Life Expectancy
- Read the enlightening multipart series Long Division: The Persistence of Race Science
- Learn about the Racial Equity in Clinical Equations Initiative
- Unequal Treatment: Confronting Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Health Care
- Documenting Racial Bias In Electronic Health Records
- Intersectional Inequalities in Science
- Seven Ways to Fight Bias in Your Everyday Life
- Diversification of Academic Surgery, and the Importance of Intersectionality
- The First Black Student at Harvard?
- Pain in Children is Often Ignored. For Children of Color, It’s Even Worse.
- Scholar Looks to Ease the Burden of Racial Opportunity Costs
- Software bias causes Black men to be underdiagnosed with lung impariments
- The Fallacy of “There are no candidates”: Institutional Pathways of Black/African American and Hispanic/Latino Doctorate Earners
- Persisent and Pervasive Health Inequities in Boston
- Racial Gap in Student Loan Debt of Medical Residents
- Black Students Report Discrimination Experiences in Higher Ed
- Racial Inequities in Hospital Cardiology Admissions
- How to Diversify Biomedical Engineering Faculty
- Challenging race-based medicine
- Register to attend a seminar on Genetic Diversity in Basic and Translational Research - in person or on zoom
- Black Students at Leading Research Universities
- How Racism and Stereotypes in Healthcare Impact the Lives of Black Women
- An Anti-Racist Agenda for Medicine
- Dialogues Across Difference: Building Community at MIT, with John Tomasi
- Inequities in end-of-life opioid treatment
- Misogynoir: A Conversation with Dr. Moya Bailey
- Why it’s a problem that pulse oximeters don’t work as well on patients of color
- Academic Disciplines Where African Americans Received Few or No Doctorates in 2021
- Eliminate Coded Language in the Workplace
- Do introductory courses disproportionately drive minoritized students out of STEM pathways?
- Register here for February 15 Community Dialogue with Lundy Braun on the Codification of Race and Racism in Medicine: a History of Race-Based Algorithms in the Field of Pulmonology
- PNAS: How Underrepresentation in Science Affects the Science We Produce
- Medical Racism
- Skin of Color Program recognizes unique needs of Black and Brown skin
- How to Use Bystander Intervention to Combat Harassment
- Why doesn't the U.S. have more Black doctors?
- Sickle cell disease is excruciating. Why aren't there more treatments?
- Opinion Segregated hospitals are killing Black people. Data from the pandemic proves it.
- What science tells us about structural racism’s health impact
- Register to attend an online seminar Nov 9 on Racial Science and Slavery in U.S. Medical Schools by Visiting Professor Christopher Willoughby
- Don’t Just Mentor Women and People of Color. Sponsor Them.
- Why doesn’t the United States have universal health care? The answer has everything to do with race.
- Seven Ways to Fight Bias in Your Everyday Life
- HBCU Medical Schools Team Up to Increase Organ Donorship Rates Among African Americans
- Trends in U.S. MD-PhD Program Matriculant Diversity by Sex and Race/Ethnicity
- Study Finds Significant Racial Bias in Artificial Intelligence Programs
- Opinion: In Bioethics, Ignoring Racism Is Itself a Kind of Racism
- Eliminating Bias from Medical School Admissions
- ‘It was stolen from me’: Black doctors are forced out of training programs at far higher rates than white residents
- Black, Brown, Bruised: How Racialized STEM Education Stifles Innovation (video)
- The Diversity–Innovation Paradox in Science
- Physicians More Likely to Describe Black Patients in Negative Terms
- Transforming Trajectories for Women of Color in Tech (National Academies Press)
- Reflecting on Systemic Racism in Medicine (audio)
- Perspectives of Black Academics in the US
- Historical Roots of Racial Disparities in American Health Care
- What will help attract young Black people to pursue STEM degrees?
- How bullying becomes a career tool
- Podcast: Dismantling Medical Racism Starts in the Classroom
- Pay attention to Citational Justice
- Sign up for an April 20 workshop on Recognizing and Responding to Microaggressions (Free registration with MIT credentials)
- Telemedicine Could Be a Major Factor in Eliminating Racial Health Care Disparities
- Video: Becoming the Person You Mean To Be
- Racism and Health Care in the US
- Study Reveals Obstacles Faced by Black Men in Doctoral Programs in Engineering
- Study: Imposter Feelings More Pronounced in Women and Early-Career Academics in Fields Valuing ‘Brilliance’
- Register for a March 4 webinar on unconscious bias: Addressing Microaggressions in the Healthcare/Research Workplace
- Creating an Anti-racist Campus
- Study Finds Blacks in Medical Schools Face an Onslaught of Microaggressions
- Read about the connection between Redlining and Obstetric Outcomes
- One University's Plan to Combat Anti-Black Racism
- Anti-Racism Resources for the Biomedical Research Training Community
- Striving for Diversity in Clinical Research Studies
- Where Are the Tenured Black Female Professors?
- Misrepresenting Race — The Role of Medical Schools in Propagating Physician Bias
- Principles and recommendations for universities from Black engineering faculty
- Watch this TEDx talk about using virtual reality to understand the origins of racial disparities in healthcare
- Equity-Centered Engineering
- 13 minute listen: White scholars can complicate research into health disparities
- Yale study finds racial bias in emergency room procedures
- Watch The Uprising, a 13-minute documentary about women faculty at MIT in the 1990s.
- Pathology of Racism — A Call to Desegregate Teaching Hospitals
- Dark Matter: Axions Cosmology & Being a Black Scientist; Dr. Chanda Prescod-Weinstein [podcast]
- Black Matters: Introduction to Black Studies
- Responses to 10 common criticisms of anti-racism action in STEMM
- Trends in self-reported health metrics - racial and ethnic differences
- Anti-Black racism in academia and what you can do about it
- Intersectionality in Science: Interview with Prof Sarah Richardson [podcast]
- Hyper-invisibility: What it’s like to be Black in engineering
- You know who really needs to be schooled on critical race theory? Your doctor
- Join the National Research Mentoring Network
- What type of mentor are you?
- Promote resources that address racial disparities in healthcare. Here's one good example - Mind the Gap: A Handbook of Clinical Signs in Black and Brown Skin
- Hear our colleagues' thoughts on the complexities of being Asian American at MIT
- Consider these Perspectives on disparities in scientific visibility
- Learn how to redress historical inequalities in academia by rebalancing key considerations in graduate admissions and faculty hiring/promotion processes
- Study finds The Percentage of Doctors Who Are Black Men Has Made No Progress in 80 Years
- Support programs that enable women and minorities in academia to join entrepreneureal ecosystems. Read Opening the Path to Biotech by Bhatia et al.
- Watch this three-part series from Boston University, Antiracism as Health Policy: Race, COVID-19, and Policy Reform
- Learn How to Be a Stronger Ally
- Amplify our colleagues' voices by citing Black authors.
- Learn how the 'model minority' myth affects students.
- Watch Coded Bias to learn how AI can perpetuate class, race, and gender inequities. Register here for a free, on-demand screening of the film available April 16-19. Follow up at an expert panel discussion on April 20: Is AI Racist?
- Read "The Coats That We Can Take Off and the Ones We Can’t" for a compelling perspective on trauma-informed care in the emergency room.
- Subscribe to the Anti-Racism Daily newsletter (no cost to you under our group plan for HST/IMES) for readable briefings on individual topics and concrete actions that you can take. [department subscription ended August 2022, individuals can join for free on their website]
- Help dispel a damaging myth, explained by Dr. Rhea Boyd in the New York Times: Black People Need Better Vaccine Access, Not Better Vaccine Attitudes.
- Attend the Black Feminist Health Science Studies Symposium, Thursday, March 18, 1:00-5:30pm.
- Learn about The Diversity-Innovation Paradox in Science by reading this recent PNAS article by Hofstra et al.
- Watch this TED Talk by Professor David R. Williams about the impact of racism on health.
- Get an e-copy of the Spring 2021 MIT Reads book selection, The Privileged Poor: How Elite Colleges Are Failing Disadvantaged Students. Join the MIT Reads mailing list to receive details regarding a virtual fireside chat with author Anthony Jack and small group discussions planned for April.
- Watch this interview with Harriet Washington, Lecturer in Bioethics at Columbia University and author of the book Medical Apartheid.
- Read this recent commentary, Fund Black Scientists, by Stevens et. al in Cell. Amplify the message with retweets using #FundBlackScientists.