This list was compiled by the JC Public Service Chairs to help members of the HST community identify volunteer opportunities.
Note - a significant number of these opportunities are currently altered/postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Tutoring and mentoring middle/high school students:
- Boston Partners in Education - Tutor and mentor Boston public school children. Recommended by Julie and others
- Cambridge School volunteers - Tutor and mentor Cambridge public school children. Recommended by Julie and others
- HMS' AP Hinton Scholars - Tutor 10th, 11th, and 12th graders taking AP biology at particular Boston Public High Schools
- HMS' HPREP - 10-week program to recruit students from underserved and underrepresented backgrounds into science and medicine.
- MIT's "Saturday Engineering Enrichment and Discovery" - Semester-long courses in need of TAs for underrepresented middle and high school students to gain exposure to different engineering disciplines
- MIT’s HSSP - Teach ~6 week courses on a wide variety of topics. Multiple students can partner together on the same course
- CovEducation - Mentor parents and students during online education due to COVID-19
- Skype A Scientist - Talk about science with various classes/groups around the country
- Mission Safe - Positive community and youth development. Two sites, in Charlestown and Mission Hill
- Science Club for Girls - To foster excitement, confidence and literacy in STEM for girls, particularly those from underrepresented communities by providing free, experiential programs and by maximizing meaningful interactions with women STEM mentors.
- HMS’ Project Hope Partnership - Dedicated to providing low-income women with children access to education, jobs, housing, and emergency services. Run by the Student Leadership Committee at the Center for Primary Care.
- HMS’ MEDscienceLAB - Students are teaching volunteers for a high School genetics and immunology course.
- HMS’ Basic Science Partnership - Dedicated to enhancement of science education for students in middle and high school levels.
Hosting high school students for research opportunities in HST labs:
- MIT's "Broadening Engagement through Engineering At MIT" - Year-round research and science education program for underrepresented high school juniors and seniors
- Dana Farber's "Continuing Umbrella of Research Experiences" - Summer research for underrepresented high school and undergraduate students
- HMS' Project Success - HMS research internships for high school juniors and seniors, especially groups underrepresented in medicine and/or disadvantaged students
- HMS' Family Van - Mobile health care
- HMS' Crimson Care Collaborative - Student-faculty primary care clinic
- Boston Health Care for the Homeless Program - Provide health care for homeless individuals
- harvardshelterhacks [at] gmail.com (Harvard ShelterHacks) - Student-run organization partnering with Cambridge Housing Authority and Continuum of Care to develop technological tools for a more personalized resource directory
- Community Voices Initiative - Help mitigate social isolation from COVID-19
- Non-Clinical Support for Healthcare Workers - Support healthcare workers through grocery runs, virtual childcare, etc.
- Greater Boston Food Bank - Dealing with hunger in the greater Boston area
- Mission Hill Health Movement - Support livable environment and quality health care in Mission Hill community
- Cradles to Crayons - putting together school supply/clothing care packages for children
- City Life/Vida Urbana - Community coalition with grassroot housing initiatives
- Harvard Square Homeless Shelter and Y2Y - Student-run homeless shelters in Cambridge
- Margaret Fuller House - Food bank, after-school tutoring, and other community advancement services
- SJPHC Racial Justice Coalition - Jamaica Plain Health Center racial justice initiative providing 8-weeks of trainings in community health, health equity, the impact of racism on health, racial justice framing, and advocacy of young men of color from around the Boston area
- Health Care Without Walls - a non-profit dedicated to providing free, compassionate medical care, education, and advocacy to homeless women and children in greater Boston