If you are involved in vertebrate animal research, please be sure you are in compliance with all applicable policies.

Failure to do so will prevent us from processing student financial support in the form of fellowships and research assistantships.

Sources of Information:

On-campus Research: Full Application

Vertebrate animal research conducted at MIT requires an approved MIT Committee on Animal Care (CAC) protocol.* If no current approved protocol exists, a full application must be submitted before research commences. If an MIT CAC protocol already exists for the project, an addendum submitted by the principal investigator is required to add the HST student to the project.

Off-campus Research: Abbreviated Application

Vertebrate animal research conducted at locations other than MIT requires an approved protocol from the institution where it is being performed. In addition, students must complete and submit all documentation for 4. Notification of Off-Campus Animal Use by MIT/WI Student(s)* to the MIT CAC if:

  • If their graduate funding, a research assistantship or fellowship, is processed through MIT.


  • The student is receiving an MIT degree.

MIT Department Representatives who sign Section 4 Funding Disclaimer are:

  • Laurie Ward (laurie [at] mit.edu (subject: CAC%20Notification%20of%20Off-Campus%20Animal%20Use) , 617-253-3609) for HST PhD and MD students
  • Julie Greenberg (jgreenbe [at] mit.edu, 617-258-6086) for HST UROP students

* MIT certificates are required to view